A Schedule...

Requiem

Ok, one of my other complaints at some of the bigger LAN's I been at is that we all either play the same damn game everytime all night long, or we are all playing different games with only a few of us in. The idea of the LAN is to have a bunch of people, face to face, playing a game together. So here are some suggestions I wouldn't mind seeing done.

1) Set up a schedule. Bob, as leader, hosts. He sets up a schedule, and puts it up, like 6pm to 9pm we'll be playing Unreal 2k3, 9pm to 1am (or when it's done) we'll be playing Warcraft 3, from 1am to 3am we'll be playing Half-Life TFC. The people there can choose to or not to join the server and play, but it gives a direction rather than just everyone splintering, or being stuck with one game all night.

2) Why does every LAN have to be nothing but FPS?! I mean, I love fragging much as the next gamer, but I wanna play Warcraft 3, or Revolt, or CTF, or CS, or Star Trek SFC, or other things. Going back to suggestion 1 we could mix things up a bit more.

I see some inherant problems with this, but I can also think of a few solutions... but I wanna see what you other people think first.

Requiem

Some good questions there!!! I usually bring up a UT2k3 server before everyone gets there. Although I can usually run two dedicated game servers on the same machine, like UT2k3 and JK2 (Jedi Knight2) or AvP2 (Alien vs Predator) and another game... (Don't have Half Life on it at the moment)

Some others like Serious Sam require the machine be dedicated to them alone. And others don't (think) require a dedicated machine, like rpgs, World Craft 3, Dungeon Siege (stop me if I'm wrong, as I don't play them.) Can they even run as a dedicated server? I know RalliSport Challenge is kinda funny multiplayer (havn't figired it out yet :ph34r: , but its there!), although Need For Speed:Hot Pursuit2 can, but doesn't require it.

We havn't had a schedule of games, but it usually ends up half or more playing the same game at any one time.

Hmmm... this is a post that could go on & on w/ the pros & cons of both sides never backing down. Having a list of what will be played at what time may or may not solve any issues since people tend to change their minds on what they are in the mood for at any given time. I know I'm guilty of it on a number of occassions. The lan parties that we are going to at this time simply aren't big enough for something of that nature to be in effect. If this were something where we had like 24+ people at any given time, then maybe it would be appropriate, maybe not. (Post edited by Bobsbrat)

As it is, Bob does a good job at letting people know what he has in store for them with the lan party emails. What I think would greatly help him out, not to mention us, the gamers, is when a new lan party invite is handed out via email, why not all who want to attend come here to the NTAC board & post what we would like to play & the games we have. When the lan party is a day or two away, we could vote on what is going to be played and/or just make it know that alot of games are going to be up & running & feel free to jump into whatever floats your boat at the time. As it stands, the way things work right now seem to be just fine, barring some of the network issues that have recently cropped up w/ some people being able to see games & play while others can't, even though everyone is wired to the same network. This is a mystery that I hope is solved soon.

-- Nem :ph34r:

...As it stands, the way things work right now seem to be just fine, barring some of the network issues that have recently cropped up w/ some people being able to see games & play while others can't, even though everyone is wired to the same network.  This is a mystery that I hope is solved soon.

Yeah, I've actually been meaning to discuss that with Henry, but it seems most of the time, either I'm at work, or he is. Of course, perhaps he'll read this as a Guest and sign up.... *wink* /nudge/

As for people not seeing the network, it seems to be a time issue <nothing abnormal thou from what I understand> with my W2k Server machine <as that is the master machine on the network> seeing them and broadcasting out to everyone the new machine on the block... As for some people not seeing some of the game servers.... :ph34r: Got me....

None of the switches are managed, so once the machines can surf out and see the other machines on the network, seeing a game server shouldn't be an issue...