Asante Switches

B.Ob.

GX5-800P.jpg

Switch info

Anyone have any experience with Asante? The price is kinda enticing if I can expect it to be as good as my SMC switch....

I've never used one nor know of anyone that has. There are enough good weekly deals on major brands that I would not risk it. Im not sure how big you want to go - 16-port. A gigabit switch would be sweet if we all had gigabit NICs or at least the servers did.

We've already got 3 machines in house here that have a giga-bit nic (mine, the game server and the new unix box), but I've spent all I'm going to for sometime. Everything has to goto the "Getting Married Fund" ! :angry:

Like PurSuiTs, my game server is always hooked up to the giga-bit uplink on our SMC switches.

I'm afraid that unless U happen to be VERY wealthy, the "Getting Married" fund simply will never have enough in it. However, I'm sure that U'll make due w/ what U can. :)

-- Nem

p.s. -- I'm ALWAYS open to donations for the "Help Nemesis afford his Wife Fund". She can be downright expensive @ times!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Was looking at possibly getting this one...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?...efer=pr1c3watch

WoW :o $118.99 for an 8-port full giga-bit switch, that sure is tempting!! Heck, thats cheaper than our SMC that has just one giga-bit port (out of 9). Although I don't see the switch-fabric (aggregate bandwidth) listed anywhere, as I recall, ours is 3.6gb, which would maintain full speed over all the ports at the same time. Hmmm, you pick that up and I'll pick up a 16-port after Mary and I get married....

The link PurSuit references above is a Trendware/Trendnet 8 Port 10/100/1000Mbps Copper Gigabit Switch Model TEG-S80TXE Retail, which I've seen the company around for a while (year +). But obviously, we are a little anxious about the quality of the product.

Interestingly, it is cosmetically the same as the Asante, so they are probably both made by the same manufacturer. Interestingly, Trendware next model up, TEG-S80TXD, has twice as much memory per port (256KB packet buffer per device), and twice as much mac entries per port (Up to 8K unicast addresses entities per device), yet still doesn't mention the switch fabric speed.... Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

How does the price compare to  a more popular brand? Like the same thing by D-link or Linksys? Is it half? less?? :rolleyes:

Well, the 5-port all giga-bit switch from Linksys you'll find it at the same place here for $122.00. And the 8-port version here for $159.99, although the 8-port is out of stock currently. Compare that at $118.99 for the 8-port from Trendware and things start to look VERY interesting!!

Dlink DGS-1005D 5-PORT GIGABIT SWITCH DESKTOP - RETAIL

The more I look at these switch the more differences I see.

The 5-year warranty is NICE!!! The electrical plug is not ideal, but who cares?