How About A Console?

Requiem

Ok, LAN games are great, but the one thing PC's really don't do well is fighting games. I was thinking it would be a blast to have a PS2 or something at a LAN for like DBZ, or Tekken, or whatever, and also for Sports games like Madden or NHL.

Do you think anyone would wanna play it? Would you?

Requiem

It sounds cool, but unfortunately, I don't have a console.... I did see that a LAN party(s) in Binghamton had some console players along with PC'ers, so I guess we can get along! B)

It certainly would make for a lighter load for those that wanted to come with a console, and certainly would open the door for more people as well!!!

Besides, switches are cheap, bring 'em on!!!

Yeah, well I would consider bringing mine and the few sports games I have. But I would definately bring one or the other, because I wouldn't want my Console unattended while playing PC and having someone I don't know walk off with it or bust it.

I am a bridge, a liason, between the world of the l33t Gamer, and the Console Gamer.

This is strange, I thought I put a post up here already regarding console lan parties but it appears to have vanished. Oh well. I'm definitely up for console lan parties. It would give me a chance to possibly see what an Xbox is all about if someone has one & brings it along.

-- Nem

Hmmm... I just had a thought. The PS2 requires a network adapter while the xbox has one built in, so that may cause a problem w/ people wanting to try & network their PS2's. I believe the going price is around $40 for a network adapter for a PS2?? That's on thing I like about the Xbox is that it is network ready & comes with a built in hard drive. The games haven't really done anything for me yet w/ the exception of Halo.

-- Nem

Actually, yes, the PS2 does need a NIC. I bought one, $40 from EB Games. However, the point I'm trying to make is not to play the PS2 Networked, but to bring the thing with ya so you can play people face to face. For instance, sports games (Madden 2003, NHL 2003) fighting games (SNK vs Capcom 2, War of the Monsters) race games (Gran Turismo, Simpsons Road Rage) are games that usually don't support netowrk play, but are far more fun face to face. Those wouldn't require a NIC.

As a side note, X-box is a joke and a piece of crap. This is my opinion of course, and I still plan to eventually buy one, but they have poor games, they charge for X-Box Live (Sonys PS2 and Nintendo's Game Cube do NOT however some of the games themselves to, fo instance EQ on the PS2 has a monthly charged), and they really have no right to be in the console market.

Each console has it's drawbacks, but overall I find the PS2 best. PS2 is the most underpowered, but it has huge amount of well done games. The Gamecube is pretty powerful, but it has very very little mature content for older gamers. X-Box is probably the most powerful, plus it has the Hard Drive and NIC already, but has poor selection and quality when it comes to games. As a note, only the PS2 is a DVD player out of the box.

Requiem

...As a note, only the PS2 is a DVD player out of the box.

Can't you use the X-Box as a DVD player as well, or do you HAVE to get the remote for it?

X-box, far as I know, is not a DVD player out of the box. You need to get an add-on for it, if it plays them at all....

... researching ...

Yeah, remote to use it as a DVD player, but I'm guessing the software with the remote probably installs a DVD software decoder...

"The Xbox DVD Movie Playback Kit is a quick way to expand the functionality of the best gaming machine around! Xbox requires this kit to enable DVD movie playback. Simply plug in the infrared receiver to a controller port and use the remote control designed for DVD movie playback. No messy cables or confusing game controllers to deal with!"

Requiem

Wow, and to think that I was holding off on my Xbox bashing, what a mistake I was making. Glad to hear that someone else feels the same way as I do regarding Xbox. The ONLY game that has sparked my interest is Halo, but that's not enough to make me want to buy one, regardless of how damn powerful that gaming system is. Who knows, things may change in a year or two if Microsoft manages to last that long & more titles comes out. Microsoft honestly doesn't have any business being in this market & yet they are simply because of that wonderful little thing they do so well, shove tons of $$$ into someones face & there U go, all redtape is somehow put aside. It's bad enough they now have their name of networking devices, apparently being a dominate force in the software business isn't enough. What's next? Coffee makers? Refridgerators? Cars?? It's truly ashame they haven't been bottled back up & sent back to their corner yet.

As for the PS2 Requiem, it wasn't my intention of saying that a ps2 party wouldn't fly since people would need to have a network adapter for it, I was simply trying to say that if people wished to network theirs, they would all need to shell out $40 for one. The ps2 has a wonderful selection of games that don't require the need for a network adapter & it would probably be a cool idea to have a ps2 party sometime soon.

The Nintendo Gamecube is definitely more aimed at the younger aged market, but there are some interesting titles out for us older folks ;-) I was at my friends the other day & he has Metroid Prime, what a freackin cool-ass game. He already has the newest edition to the Legend of Zelda reserved & that looks sweet as well. I would put more value into getting a Gamecube more than an Xbox at this time.

I can only hope that Sony can get their newest gaming console out soon, but as it stands it's slated for release in late 2004 or early 2005. From everything I've read about it, this is going to be one major kickass gaming console. Hopefully that won't be reflected in the price :-]

-- Nem :ph34r: